Kitchen Manager - Full Time
Department: Nutrition Department
Reports to: Director of Nutrition
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt (eligible for overtime)
The Kitchen Manager is an integral position within the foodservice team that provides healthy, quality meals to Meals on Wheels clients and congregate sites under the senior nutrition program. This position is responsible for meal production, menu compliance, daily operations, along with safety and sanitation to the highest standard. The Kitchen Manager supervises and trains the kitchen team members and volunteers. Responsible for cooking, baking, soups, sauces, and production-style food preparation in a small kitchen setting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in updating, maintaining, and developing recipes for menus.
- Plan, collect, organize food and commodities for certified menu.
- Prioritize and organize in logical work sequence daily tasks within time constraints to meet production deadlines for delivery.
- Responsible for ordering food and supplies to meet the demands of constant change in clients for the nutrition program.
- Maintaining supplies and equipment for production in the kitchen and delivery of meals.
- Communicate effectively and work cooperatively with other staff members.
- Demonstrate a high standard of personal hygiene for kitchen team members and self.
- Ensure all team members and self, adhere to high standards of sanitation and cleanliness are maintained throughout kitchen, production, and service areas.
- Maintain documentation for kitchen production, equipment and service areas as required by contract.
- Ensure quality standards, deadlines, and proper procedures, are being followed and correct errors or problems with the flow of production or product.
- Provide team members with guidance and solutions to handle difficult or complex problems.
- Leadership – Maintain a positive, upbeat role, promote and exemplify Center values and represent departmental objectives and interests to internal and external customers
- Customer Service – Follow up on complaints, questions, and concerns; respond to internal/external customer needs in a friendly, timely and efficient manner
- Teamwork – Develop and promote teamwork and cooperation among co-workers
- Safety – Comply with established safe work practices and attend to all safety-related training provided or made available by the Center.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Degree or G.E.D. Certificate
- BA/BS in Foodservice or Culinary Management Preferred or
- Minimum of two (2) years in kitchen management.
- Minimum of three (4) years of experience in the Culinary Industry.
- Four (4) years of supervisory experience.
Required Technical/Other Skills and Abilities:
- Able to supervise assigned staff, food preparation, service and cleanup
- Able to make decisions and solve practical problems
- Able to read and implement recipes, instructions formulas or processing charts
- Able to effectively present information and respond to questions from co-workers and volunteers
- Able to calculate figures and amounts such as addition and subtraction
- Able to handle multiple tasks and balance a fluctuating workload
- Able to work and communicate well with others (written and verbal)
- Self-motivated – keeping the organization’s needs at top of mind
- Able to routinely demonstrate responsible behavior
- Knowledge of safe food handling practices
- Knowledge and application of safe sanitation, health & safety and safe food practices
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
Required Licenses and Certifications:
- 5 year ServSafe Certification