Geriatric Case Manager - Job Description
Job Title: Geriatric Case Manager, ¾ time
Reports to: Executive Director
FLSA Classification: Hourly
Created / Updated: 10/7/2020
The Case Manager is dedicated to enhancing senior health and wellness by providing seniors with advocacy, resources, and access to services that will improve the quality of life, increase functional independence, and prevent premature institutionalization. The Case Manager works under the supervision and direction of the Executive Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Determines the nature of the client's situation by interviewing client; assessing medical, psychological, financial, emotional, and social information; making on-site visits.
- Setting goals with clients through a care plan and implements the care plan by coordinating and arranging for services.
- Obtains assistance for client by referring him/her to community resources; arranging for appointments; establishing rapport with other agencies.
- Fosters client's action or adjustment by interpreting attitudes and patterns of behavior; explaining and pointing out new options.
- Maintains record of case by documenting client's situation and client's own actions.
- Monitors planned actions by periodic follow-up and telephone reassurance to ensure that the care plan meets the needs of the client.
- Completes a comprehensive reassessment on a regular basis given the needs of the client and terminate care management services when appropriate.
- Maintains operations by following policies and procedures; participating in quality reviews; reporting needed changes.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Maintains client confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Attends, participates, leads and/or facilitates routinely scheduled meetings as required for the program or agency.
- Acts as an Information/Referral Specialist.
- Coordinates referrals for in-home services, including those performed by subcontractors; monitors performance and services.
- Assists clients to locate and utilize community resources.
- Maintains a strong working relationship with all other programs in order to keep lines of communication open regarding clients and referrals.
- Acts as client advocate interfacing with Social Security, Medicare/Medi-Cal, In Home Supportive Service (IHSS) and other agencies. Ensures clients receive all benefits for which they are entitled.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Must be reliable and have a passion for helping seniors.
- Must be HIPAA compliant.
- Possess knowledge of social, economic and psychological problems of seniors
- Must be able to communicate effectively with the client, client’s representative and staff of other service agencies and work as part of a multidisciplinary team of providers on behalf of the client.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Possess a valid class C driver’s License; experienced driver with a clean driving record and vehicle insurance.
- Must be in good physical condition and able to lift 30 lbs. daily; able to climb stairs and walk at a fast pace.
- Exceptional listening skills, a collaborative style coupled with adaptability and flexibility, high energy and the ability to prioritize.
- Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and filing cabinets
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the responsibilities of this Job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel and to manipulate keys on a keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift 10 lbs., lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a 32 hours per week, three-quarter time position. Days of work are negotiable, but must be consistent, and work must occur between the hours 8:00am and 4:00 pm. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Minimum travel is expected for this position.
Required Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree required; equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, percentages and other related accounting, financial and payroll entries.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form, ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The Mizell Center provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status
Equal Opportunity Employer committed to employment of Females, Minorities, Persons with Disabilities and Veterans.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.